January 20, 2011

Full Wolf Moon


I woke up this morning and saw a beautiful full moon setting. According to the Farmer's Almanac, it's the Full Wolf Moon.

Each month's full moon is traditionally given a name that reflects something that's happening in the natural world. At this time of year, wolves would be particularly hungry and active, howling through the woods looking for something to eat.

Although a coyote was found in Beacon Hill, I don't think the wolves have come back to Boston yet. At least I didn't see any near my house this morning.

I do see a lot of snow but surprisingly it's next month's moon that is the Full Snow Moon. Of course it gets that name because February is traditionally the snowiest month of the year. That's right! Our snowy January may just be an appetizer for what's coming next month. It's time to stock up on rock salt (and maybe wolf repellent just in case).

1 comment:

Rich Clabaugh said...

Thanks for the info Peter! I don't hear wolves late at night but I do hear coyotes!